Recipes by: Rj of Urban Table
Photo styling & Art Direction by: Traci of Urban Table
Photography & Art Direction by: Heather of Heather Gill Photography
Did you know you can make hummus out of almost anything? Well here is our take on zucchini hummus and its delightful! With a little prep you can have this ready to go for a party days ahead of time. For the zucchini, choose medium to small ones. If once you slice them open, you see the seeds are large and watery, use a melon baller or spoon to scrape out. Don’t dig too deep, you don’t have to get them all. If they appear firm and the seeds are small you don’t need this step. Enjoy!
Grilled Zucchini Hummus
Makes approximately 2 cups
1 large zucchini (about 1 pound total)
1/4 cup tahini
3 to 4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat grill to high. Use an oil-soaked paper towel held with tongs to lightly oil the grill grates. We also tried with a grill pan and it worked very well.
- Remove the ends of zucchini, then slice in half, lengthwise.
- If you find the seeds are large and watery, use a melon baller or spoon to scrape out. Don’t dig too deep, you don’t have to get them all. If they appear firm and the seeds are small you don’t need this step.
- Place the zucchini on the grill, cut side up, then reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes, just until browned and starting to get tender. Set aside to cool.
- When zucchini has cooled enough to handle, place in a food processor. Add tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Process for 1 minute or until smooth.
The hummus can be served immediately or you can chill it for up to a week. The hummus will thicken slightly as it chills.
We enjoyed this with red and white radishes. You can also serve with fresh pita, carrots or other vegetables for a new summer favorite side dish.
We would love to hear if you tried this recipe. You can connect with us in the comments or on our Facebook page.
Modern Day Forager