Recipes by Rj of Urban Table
Photo Styling & Art Direction by Traci of Urban Table
Photography & Art Direction by Heather of Heather Gill Photography
What better way to celebrate the summer and the end of our week than with an old fashion caramelized plum tartlet!
These deep purple and burgundy drupes are filled with a good source of fiber, potassium and vitamins A and C. A real summer time treat.
Here is our take on how to use them.
Caramelized Plum Tartlets
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ lb. unsalted butter, room temp
2 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon hibiscus extract (we love lc finn’s extract)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 plums pitted and sliced
½ cup turbinado sugar (you may substitute light brown sugar)
Powdered sugar as garnish
- Six 4 inch ramekins
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter ramekins and place on baking sheet.
- In medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter on medium high for 2 min. Add yolks, sugar, hibiscus extract, lemon zest and cinnamon then beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, do not over mix.
- Divide dough evenly between ramekins. Fan plum slices over top of dough pressing them in lightly. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 min until tartlets look set and the tops are bubbly and caramelized to a golden brown.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
***Serving suggestion lots of ice cream (MDF favorite, homemade black peppered goat cheese)***
We are just over the moon to share with you one of our knock out recipes. The buttery crust is what makes this…something truly special and the graham cracker crumb like texture…is my favorite part of this rustic tart. Out of this world!!!
Then when the sweet juicy plums are added, bubble to the top, the sugar caramelizes, turns golden brown, and the hibiscus extracts comes into play, the tart becomes so flavorful and intensifies everything in sight. Once you make this tried and true recipe you will be sure to add it to your recipe collection.