Summertime Melon, Salchichon Salame, Local Greens with Saffron Honeydew Splash
When your local greens and produce are at the height of the season capture all their essence and get some color. Make this super-simple fast, fresh and easy recipe. You are sure to shine!
- 1 cup Tuscan cantaloupe, cubed
- 1/2 cup white honeydew, cubed
- 1/2 cup yellow honeydew, cubed
- 1 cup Asian melon, cubed
- 2 cups Tuscano kale, chopped
- 1 cup chard, chopped
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 head frisee lettuce, chopped (any well textured lettuce will work)
- 1 bulb fennel, julienned
- 1/4 pound Salchichon salame, julienned (any cured meat will work)
Place all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Season with salt and pepper then toss.
- 2 cups honeydew melon, seeded and cubed
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (neutral)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4-6 threads of Saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
Puree honeydew in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl, pressing with a wooden spoon.
Add oil, lime juice and zest, honey, saffron, salt and pepper; whisk to combine. (my preferred method is to shake in a mason jar)
Modern Day Forager
Recipes by: Rj of Urban Table
Photo Styling & Art Direction by: Traci of Urban Table
Photography & Art Direction by: Heather of Heather Gill Photography
Well grilling season is right around the corner and you will need something to go with the burgers and zucchini slaw would be a wonderful addition to your spread. For me, I can’t get enough fennel and this recipe shows it off nicely with the zucchini and lemon. Super simple to make. We think you will enjoy it.
Zucchini Slaw with Fennel, Lemon and Cilantro
1 Fennel blub, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, rough chop
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon preserved lemons, rinse first then fine dice
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, preserved lemons, mayonnaise, sugar, salt and olive oil and whisk together.
- Add thinly sliced fennel, grated zucchini and cilantro leaves and mix together until coated.
- Chill before serving.
We would love to hear if you tried this recipe. You can connect with us in the comments and on Facebook.
Modern Day Forager