Modern’s Tasty Fish and Chips with Malt Vinegar
2 pounds of russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch strips (hold in a large bowl of ice water)
Peanut oil for frying
1 1/2 pounds of haddock, (or cod) skinned
Salt and Pepper
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup flat beer
Place all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir until there are no lumps.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until just soft, about 5 min.
- Remove from water; pat dry and let sit at room temperature for at least an hour, up to 4 hours (or freeze for an hour, you are trying to remove as much moisture as possible)
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven to 375F
- (If you choose you can add a step here, fry at 350 until just brown, remove and freeze again. Then raise temp to 375F and fry for an additional 5 min.)
- Add potatoes, frying in batches, stirring often for about 5 minutes
- Remove with a skimmer or slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. (We like to keep fries hot in a warm oven)
- Cut fish into equal portions (about 4) Pat dry with paper towel and then in batter, fry one at a time until golden brown about 3 min per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Salt and pepper to tasteServe on newspaper with malt vinegar
Modern Day Forager